If you are anything like me, fall has you conjuring up all sorts of ways to use up the canned and frozen pumpkin you saved last year so that you can preserve more!
Last night I made some Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (recipe courtesy of Ellen in the Kitchen). I used olive oil rather than Canola Oil, but otherwise I kept the recipe exactly as written and it turned out wonderfully. You can find the recipe here:
This brings me to this morning, when I realized that I thawed way too much pureed pumpkin from last year and that I need to find ways to use it up before it rots in my fridge. Enter: Quick Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal!
Quick Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal (makes one serving)
(1) Packet of McCann’s Irish Instant Oatmeal
(1) Tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (or a combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and allspice)
Hot water to cook the oatmeal
(2-3) Tbsp of Pureed Pumpkin (from the can is okay, I used frozen from last year)
Brown Sugar to Top!
1. Prepare instant oatmeal packet according to directions on package. I use a hot tea kettle to heat water, but you may choose to use the microwave. I find that adding hot water produces the best results.
2. Stir in the pumpkin pie spices.
3. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
4. Top with brown sugar to taste.
Note: I realize this recipe is anything but complicated, but I find that a little variety in my breakfast routine keeps me happy.:)
Feel free to comment with any variations you create (or other ideas to make instant oatmeal taste more interesting!)